Another amazing event hosted at the Banff Springs Hotel is in the books. The Western Canadian Dealer Summit brought together dealerships from British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan to listen and learn from industry experts about what’s happening in the automotive industry. So what did we learn this year? Here’s our highlight reel.
Strathcom Media Blog
Digital Marketing for Dealerships
This past Thursday, we were fortunate enough to attend this year’s edition of Google Think Auto at the Toronto Centre for the Arts. Although the venue changed from the usual scene at Massey Hall and the direction of the event was slightly different by not having individual dealers out (check out our blog on the upcoming Think Dealer events!), the content was useful and provided a different perspective on our ever changing Canadian car buyer market.
The focus of this year’s event was on buyers falling into three main buckets:
- First Time Buyer “The Newbie” – represents 20% of the Canadian car buying market
- Brand Loyalist “The Loyalist” – represents 37% of the Canadian car buying market
- Brand Switcher “The Switcher” (or the promiscuous as they like to call them) – represents 43% of the Canadian car buying market
Here are some highlights of this year’s study:
- Video continues to be the hot topic going into next year, but the conversation has changed from OEMs being simply present, to being present in the right way and getting in front of the right audience.
- The Newbies and the Switchers are the top two buyers heading to YouTube, but they are watching different content. The Newbies are focused on expert and peer reviews of vehicles while the Switchers are watching on the road and test drive videos.
- On average, Canadian car buyers:
- Will visit 2 dealerships (down from 3 last year)
- Are in the market for 57 days
- Will consider between 2 and 4 brands
- 80% of car buyers said that digital will reduce the number of visits to a dealership, meaning they are using online resources to be more efficient
- 54% of car buyers said that they will not contact the dealership before going there
- This means that you have to WIN online to win the in-person visit!
- Google will be hosting Think Dealer events across the country to present more dealership specific information
We will have a complete summary to follow with more detailed info and stats, stay tuned!
If you haven’t already heard, Google changed up their Think Auto event this year. Instead of bringing everyone across the country to the centre of the universe…Toronto… they decided to bring their wealth of knowledge across the country and host Think Dealer specific events in 5 cities between October 12th and November 9th. Lucky for us, we were still able to check out Think Auto and you can read up on our quick summary of the event here!
The goal of Think Dealer is to bring the latest industry stats and innovations to a location near you. The team from Google will be presenting their latest findings on what you can do at the dealership level to reach, engage and drive car buyers to your dealership!
Our team will be jet setting off to 4 of the 5 Think Dealer events (sorry Montreal) and we’d love to see you there. Here are the dates and locations:
- Montreal – October 12th
- Toronto – October 17th
- Halifax – October 19th
- Vancouver – November 7th
- Calgary – November 9th
If you’re interested in attending one of these events, we would be happy to sign you up! Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll take care of the rest. If you’re looking for some more information, head to https://events.withgoogle.com/think-dealer-2017/. Or if you would like to attend Think Dealer in either Toronto or Vancouver but don’t want to splurge on a plane ticket and hotel room, enter our contest and we will not only foot the bill, but also hook you up with Strathcom, Facebook, and Google swag!
We look forward to seeing you at Think Dealer!
I am thrilled to announce the promotion of Bill Warren to President of Strathcom Media. This well-deserved promotion is a logical next step for Bill, as he has played a vital role in Strathcom’s success since 1999.
Bill has been with Strathcom for nearly 18 years, working first as the Company Controller, then Product Development Manager, and then for the last 8 years as the V.P of Operations, so he has truly seen everything. Bill’s ability over the years to build and be a part of a first-class management team has led to the transformation of our products and customer service here at Strathcom Media. He has also been a pioneer in the online automotive space.
As President, Bill will continue to be committed to the success of Strathcom’s dealer clients and manufacturer partners. Under Bill’s leadership Strathcom will maintain an aggressive development plan to help bring the latest technology to the Canadian Automotive Vertical for Dealers.
So, if Bill is the President now, what does that mean for me? Well, I am excited to be taking on a new and exciting role as the Vice President of Marketing for the Go Auto group. This was an extremely difficult decision for me given the tremendous success we have seen at Strathcom, but one that is right for both my professional and personal development.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my 6 years at Strathcom Media and look forward to seeing where Bill and the team will take the company in the years to come. I am extremely confident that under Bill’s leadership Strathcom will continue to be a market leader and dominant force in the industry.
I will be hanging around Strathcom for the remainder of August to assist Bill and the team to ensure a smooth transition, so if you have any questions I am here to help! Please feel free to contact me directly at 780-903-3520, or if you prefer, contact Bill at 780-908-1570.
All the best!
Former President of Strathcom Media
We have had a few dealers ask us about Instagram lately, so we took the liberty of asking Facebook what’s up with its sister platform. Here are the new stats they sent us:
- Instagram currently has about 250 million daily users
- People under the age of 25 spend an average of 32 minutes a day on Instagram
- People over the age of 25 are spending an average of 24 minutes a day on Instagram
- In the last year alone there have been more than 20 new features added to Instagram Stories – including stickers and Boomerang
- Last month, over 50% of businesses produced an Instagram story.
There is also a case study on the Instagram business page called Accelerating to Success: The Auto Industry on Instagram that includes a ton of data about why dealers should be utilizing this powerful platform. Here are some of the highlights:
- Nearly 80% of Instagrammers said they research products online before making a purchase
- Two years ago, 38% of people said Instagram informs what they buy. That number increased to 59% for auto enthusiasts.
The case study goes on to show examples of ads OEMs like GMC and Lexus ran if you need some inspiration!
Top 10 Hashtags
If you are already an active Instagrammer, you probably want to know what the top hashtags are so you can more Likes! Well, here they are (as of July, 2017):
- #BOMDIA (means hello or good day in portuguese)
For more information about Instagram and/or Facebook Advertising, drop us a line today!