Back on December 11, 2014, we gave you some best practices of how to make the most out of your Google My Business listing. Those best practices have now become exorbitantly more important with Google’s latest release. Tentatively, starting today, July 28, 2015, Google is going to start removing unverified business listings, so there’s no better time than now to make sure you’re verified.
Not sure if you’re verified, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Google My Business. If you’re new to Google My Business, all you need is a Google account. This is generally the same one you use for your Gmail account.
- Choose one of two categories of local business: Storefront (you as a car dealer) or Service Area Businesses.
- Enter the name or address of your business and select it if it appears in the drop-down.
- If you see your name, click on it and a message should pop up saying the account has been verified (you would need to be logged into the same Google account associated with the listing).
- If you don’t see your business listed, click “No, these are not my businesses” or “I’ve correctly entered the business.” You’ll then be prompted to enter in your business details. Once you’ve correctly entered everything, hit Submit.
- You will then be asked to verify your business either by Postcard, Phone, or Instant (only available in certain circumstances).
- Phone or Postcard are your best options. For either one you will just need to follow the instructions Google provides you.
If someone else has claimed your Google My Business listing and you’re not sure who has the admin rights to the page, follow these steps to see what you can do.
Why is it important to have a verified Google My Business listing?
- It’s easier to maintain your business information on Google, such as your store hours or phone number. This is also how Google finds your business, which is even more important for new companies just opening their doors.
- You can read and respond to reviews from your customers, which as we all know is becoming increasingly important in the decision-making process. Don’t believe us? Check out our post about Millennials and their buying cycle.
- You can get insight on how customers searched for your business and where they are coming from, which means you can use that information to better target customers.
It takes less than 3 minutes to verify your Google My Business listing, even less time than it took you to read this blog post. Head over to Google My Business right now to make sure your listing is safe!